Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Back to College, Part II: Shared Experience


One of the fun and interesting things that came out of returning to college was sharing the experience with my oldest daughter.  As I have mentioned earlier, I have a 20-year-old daughter, Briana, who is 6 hours away at college.  We have always been close, but sharing this experience has brought us even closer.

I guess it only makes sense, but Briana and I have very similar interests and aptitudes.  She loves to argue (and is good at it!).  She’s very good at influencing (and manipulating) people.  She tends to take a leadership role.  She loves history and she’s a great writer.

All of this has added up to a perfect fit for both of us.  If I run into something that Im either not familiar with or don’t understand, Briana is the first one I call.  If either of us needs a proof-reader, we don’t have to hunt to find someone we trust with the job.  When Briana needs advice on dealing with her sorority sisters or roommates, I am there to share my experience.  Most importantly, we can each learn from the other’s mistakes, without having to make them ourselves.

Here’s the best part.  A lot of parents I know have a hard time finding something to talk about with their teenage/college-age children.  I never, ever have that problem.  Briana and I talk almost every day and don’t have to worry about running out of topics – Studies, instructors, work, relationships, career planning – We have an endless list.

I know that not everyone returning to college has college-age children to share this experience.  If you do, don’t smother them, but don’t miss the opportunity to make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment